@Chennai Station

It was indeed a very touching experience I had at Chennai station on the early morning hours on 15.08.2018. I was on the way to Varanasi after completing the workshop at Kongu Engineering college in Erode. I came to Chennai by Erode-Chennai Yercuad Express which reached at 4 am on the said day. I was sitting in a bench in PF No. 10 as my mobile phone was charging in a nearby power point. Around 5 am, an old man around 75’s in decent dress asked me for a help and initially I ignored as I was tired to attend anyone. My body was hesitate to function as I had a very disturbed sleep past night.
He came close to me this time and spoke to me in clear English something.  It was “Can you understand English”? I told him I can. I looked at him very carefully as I realised that this old man really needs something from me. The man was wearing a dark blue tshirt, a decent pants and having a small bag in his hand. From his appearance I could make it out that he may be somewhere from northern India as the fairly white skin, a graceful face with grey eyes and  completely silver hair on head. His introduction gave me a shock in my nerves. He told me.
“Son, I am 78 years old, I came to Chennai for eye treatment. My eyes are affected with cataract and I couldnot meet the doctor yesterday. I am waiting for my chance today/tomorrow. I am having a severe aasmatic problem and my medicine is finished. (he showed me two empty cassette of Cipla, which is normally use by aasma patients). I have only Rs. 40 with me and I need Rs. 110 to get the medicine. I am yet to get money and the Appollo medical counter in the station is not having the medicine I needed although they gave me some first aid.”
At first, I gave him the required amount. He didn’t go and he told me how his life met with this unfortunate end. He started like this. “You know everyone celebrates Independence Day on 15th August. This was this day (August 15), an incident happened which changed my life upside down”.  He continued his narration. He has a son and a daughter. He originally belonged to Alwar in Rajasthan, with great difficulty (financial problems) completed his MA in Economics in 1961 and joined a college with a salary of Rs.35. Later he shifted to Gurgaon and finally to Delhi. When his son was three years old, on the day of 15 August his son was trying to fly kites in the terrace with other kids in the apartment. In an attempt to catch the kite, two kids fell from the terrace including his son. The other boy died instantly and his son had a sever injury in his head. Surgeries were done many times, but he lost his memory and he is become a mentally retarded individual. The treatment continued for years, there was no improvement, other than losing money.
His daughter is married and living in Rajasthan with her husband and inlaws. She is also a teacher. His all savings were spent to treat his son but had little improvement in his son’s condition. She supports him financially, but how long she can support and how far? She has to be responsible to her family as well….I had nothing to say (rather I didn’t get any words) as my thoughts were gripped with grief and sorrow visualising the life of this old person with bitter experiences all through his life.  
He thanked me for helping him and left the place.

My sleep vanished after hearing his sad story. I was stunned for a while as the reality was striking my consciousness. I too have a father of his age in my home. My age will also reach 78 if I am alive till that time. Life can bring you twist at anytime. We never know what is waiting for us next moment in our life.. Its life.. no one can predict what is waiting for you ………….. 

Popular posts from this blog

Kashi...(written in 2018)