Preparing for the trip- My flight to Milan. (Milano)


I started learning the basics of Italian as the language spoken in the area is Italian online. It was rather a tough task as I have to devote considerable time for it, but by the end of August I could understand it in bits and pieces. As my date to departure were closer, Ms. Elisa the host informed me to reserve the bus tickets from the airport to Arona. My nervousness increased as the days came closer, and the programme schedule has reached me well ahead of schedule. As the schedule contained no room for moving out for sightseeing of important places in Italy such as Venice or Pisa, I was bit disappointed, but I found I can make it to Rome on weekend as the organisers made it clear that  there are no classes on the said days.

My flight to Amsterdam was operated by Jet Airways (Carrier and crew) and further it was operated by KLM. Fortunate that I got an aisle seat in the last before row of the plane to Amsterdam. In a long flight of 8 hours and 50 minutes, an aisle seat is good as you can move freely out without disturbing the next person seated. The flight taken of at 2 am on 28 August, which was a memorable day for me as it is my first visit to Europe. My wrist watch show me IST, whereas after landing at Amsterdam Schipol Airport, mobile phone automatically updated the time to Netherlands time.
The first task was to find out the boarding gate for the next flight to (Milan) Linate, but I soon realised that I had to undergo security check and then move to passport control. While following the crowd to the security check I was really astonished the see diversity of language spoken around me and the ethnic diversities of people from different points. Amsterdam is a very important connecting point to America, Canada and other places in Europe.  Finally I reached the security point while following the crowd and listening to the meta lingua in the air (I still can’t make it out).

The security women asked me to keep all stuff in the tray and move. I was little hesitant to keep the coins and some currency notes, I had to keep in the tray as the security officer( woman of around 50’s gracefully asked me what I am going to do with the coins an notes. Later I realised that there should not be even a paper in your pocket while body undergoes an x ray of seconds in a transparent cylindrical shape automovable (fiber glass) machine. Then I am asked to stand for physical check up, but every thing ended very quickly.

Since I had enough time, I wanted to explore the airport. It is built on one terminal concept as there is in one terminal every facility incorporated. But, the airport is quite huge.  As my eyes were making a quick survey of the beautifully decorated shops around, luxury and elegance were seen visibly every side. Difficult to remember the kind of shops, but some of them were of souvenir items, flower shops, bars and restos, and so on.

Finally reached the Passport control area, again a long cue ahead. The area demarcated for non EU citizens, were different, hence I moved to that side. A young girl (maybe in her late 20’s) checked my passport and asked me where I am going and for what purpose. After stamping passport, I moved to the gates. The gates looked like beyond reach as the distance to my gate was immensely far and my body started showing the sign of stress. To verify the, departure gate checked the screen. This time the news was more shocking. The departure gate changed and I have to find out the new one and asked the security officer whom I found nearby. He directed me to the specific area and finally I reached my place before time.

The size of the crowd grew fast and visibly it was clear that I was one of the very few people from Asian continent in the flight rest all were from either Europe or West. An interesting announcement came in Dutch, English and Italian. “Our flights are overbooked and passengers who are volunteering to leave the seats will be compensated with 75 euros per person”.   I didnot want to take a chance, hence I moved to the boarding area, where the boarding staff happily gave me a window seat with a pleasant smile.  

Popular posts from this blog

Kashi...(written in 2018)