Varanasi, the Eternal City

The city is a mystery for many. Atleast for me. A city living on tales. A city also living up on the beliefs and myths. Every resident of this city is a blessed person. Every inch of this land is having divine power. It is my thought or beliefs of many. Whatever it is, the city boasts of hundreds of years heritage and traditional living. This is the place I live every day. The following lines are silly thoughts of my life in Banaras.



This is the city where every one find to be happy, and smiling


This is the city where different cultures meet,

where the Lord Shiva blesses devotees.

The Ghats are filled with colours in the evening..

People are moving towards the river to take bath

Their lips are repeated with prayers…..

Holding the prayer stick in the shoulders,

Poring the Gangajal in the bottles,

Prayag Ghat is crowded already with pilgrims,

Aarti is about to take place…


I moved through the Gallies inside,

Where the narrow lanes tell you hundreds of stories,

Never you know where it leads to ,

Because you can go wherever in the city through the gallies,

Towering buildings in eitherside,

Homes are busy with evening preparations,

Smell of mustard oil and other stuff fill the air,

Oneside where the girls are collecting supply water,


In the corridors of the city,

Every one lives equally,

The windows open to ghats or t

towards the street or narrow lanes

Small rooms compile entire living stuff

Peeping eyes scanning the bypassers,

Some one is busy with their daily business

Where someone walk with loose steps

But mouth is filled with paan

One lane leads to another lane here,

Sometimes to a wider one,

And sometimes it leads to a much narrow one ,

But all creatures live here happily…

A bull stopped me in my way ahead,

As the sadhus of Banaras, the bull

seems to be in a half sleep

After taking a smoke of marijuana

A little boy appeared in front of mine,

Looking at me he asked me why I am stopped,

My fear to pass the bull made him laugh,

He took my hand and passed the bull


When I moved ahead again ,

A herd of goats greeted me this time,

The cute one is the smallest ,

And it give me an affectionate look,

As I bent forward to catch it my hand

It jumped away from me to its mother.

But I loved the company of this goats,

Though they see hundreds of people everyday,

I was some one special to them


Moving ahead it’s the time of prayer,

The bells are ringing just ahead

A big tree covers my view, but

There is small temple with some devotees….

I also joined for some time with them,,

But my feet moved ahead again,

A clash of voice just in front,

Their language says they are from Andhra,

Talking loudly the holiness of Kashi Vishwanath

Someone in the group was repeatedly chanting

Bambam bol, Har Har Mahadev


This time I lost my direction,

Felt that the galee leads to a small house,

A cute girl child told me this in a soft tone

‘Rastha nahi hai….’

Soon the elder mother also came out to see me,

And advised me to move towards the ghat…..

The Galie is dirt with rain and dirt

Somewhere the cowdung and road looks alike…..

Moving towards the ghat side I have reached the

End of my trip, yes I am at Manikarnika Ghat

This is the most sacred place in the earth,

This is the beginning of another journey

Te search of moksha ends up here.

You are standing at the footstep of heaven


The climate is pleasant,

But people are busy,

Some of them came to see of them

But some of them are arranging things…

My attention lost in a pyre,,

Where I was thinking my self to be there…

When the flames grips the body slowly,

Your soul gets free from the cycle of births,

Moving in to the world of infinity,


…………………………………………








Popular posts from this blog

Kashi...(written in 2018)