Finding my Guru, interactions with Prof. Tej Vir Singh

It was about 6 pm in the evening on 10.10.2017(Tuesday). I was bit nervous that I would be slightly late to reach my destination. But I reached the place of my meeting on right time– the home of Prof. T V Singh, the great master of Indian Tourism Education. When I opened the gate, some one came outside to lead us to the place Prof. Tej Vir Singh was waiting. (Later, I realised that the person who led us was Dr. Sagar Singh, son of Prof. Tej Vir Singh.) A study room with several collection of books all around. Some of the titles include the writings of Prof. Singh with renowned scholars from different parts of the world, and some of them are authored by his own students..
(Prof. Singh didn't teach me in any of my college days, but his name was heard at different academic platforms).
 I apologised for not requesting his convenient time for appointment, as my day schedule was fixed at Dr. Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University, where I was attending the workshop on research methodology.
My first meeting with Prof. Tej Vir Singh and Mrs. Singh visited BHU on an invitation in the year 2014. In 2016, I met him in IITTM, Gwalior in Asia Euro Conference.
Prof. Singh asked me straight away what is going on in BHU? I understood his question well, as it was related to our progress in research, but I didn’t have a clear answer. I was shameful that neither I can claim that I am a proven researcher in the given area nor I have a publication in a top class journal. Much of time I was fully occupied in the class room teaching and research was a just done whenever I get time. I narrated him about the difficulties of creating a department in an institution like BHU. He lamented that an institution like BHU must have a separate department of Tourism Studies. 
After a while,  it seemed like he was trying to recollect his past. He wrote six plays, some of them were broadcasted by All India Radio. He was a student of Geography before entering in to the world of tourism. He told about his interest to take tourism as a topic for PhD in the late 1960’s and it  became a national news when he was awarded PhD in tourism in 1968 as he was the one and only scholar did Ph.D. in tourism. “Tourism is all about appreciating beauty’, he continued....and India, pilgrimage existed even before the very idea of tourism was conceptualised...Then Prof. Singh recollected that his 40 years of academic life gave him immense opportunities to work in tourism research within India and internationally. His effort ‘Tourism Recreation Research’ a journal of tourism studies, has crossed all the boundaries and brought laurels to India as it was recognised as the best journal in Tourism in 1990s. Prof. Singh remembered that the journal was his baby and it was the difficulty of age made him decide to hand over the rights of TRR to Taylor and Francis group after managing its publication for more than 30 years.
Prof. Tej Vir Singh, extensively worked on Himalayas, Pilgrimages, Mountain Tourism studies  and he was one of the key person formulating a plan of action for tourism development in India. Among his scholars Prof. O P Khandari and Prof.  Bagri became the Vice chancellors of Bundelkhand University and Himgiri Zee University. He again recollected the efforts of his wife Mrs. Singh getting special permission to pursue Ph.D as Prof. Singh was the only guide in the area. The work was later published as a book by a very reputed publisher later.  He also recollected that Vice Chancellor of Kumaon University met him to convince and want him to be the next the next Vice Chancellor, but Prof. Singh refused the offer saying that I like students; If I take up this administrative responsibility, I would be away from students, and I don’t want to happen that. This words shows how keen he was a pious teacher who always thinks of the students need at first. Dr. Shalini Singh, worked under Prof. Singh, for more than 15 years. After she got an offer from Canada, Prof. Singh recommended her to avail the opportunity. Mr. Masood Naqvi is still with Prof. Singh (associated with Prof. Singh more than 20 years) and he finds that it is rare kind of devotion and admiration to a guru like him. Prof. Singh meantime recollected the time he was awarded as UN Ullysses fellow (2013) considering his contributions to Tourism Research and education. (Prof. Singh is also the founder Director of Centre for Tourism Research and Development (CTRD). The media page of UNWTO mentions,
"As the Founding Director of the Institute of Himalayan Studies and Regional Development at the University of Garhwal, Dr. Singh started the first Himalayan tourism training course. In 1976, he established the CTRD, a non-government organization devoted to the cause of tourism academics and research, with a special focus on India. Under his leadership, the Centre started an outreach programme that included education, training, research guidance, consultancy, curriculum design, and tourism programme initiation to several Indian universities, management institutions and colleges. Today, the CTRD is recognized for the generation and publication of valuable research on recreation and tourism, and is well-known as a leading organization for developing and disseminating scholarships in tourism in India."
The whole world recognised his efforts as a luminary in the field of tourism education. He told that he is 88 years old now and will continue to be the editor of the journal for another 2 years as he promised the same with the Taylor and Francis group. Though the body was feeble, his voice and expressions were very clear. He told that memory is the only thing stay with him at this phase of his life as he needs support to move around.
He recited some Hindi verses, which I couldnot follow initially, but my friend translated to me with his best efforts. Once I understood the meaning, I told him sir, you are the way and light for us, its because of you I am here as a student of tourism (tourism as a branch of academic discipline was introduced with his efforts). He played a crucial role in starting of Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management. He even recollected the name of the IAS officer along with whom he worked for the same.  I wanted to hear from him a lot, but my consciousness stopped me from innerside that I should not disturb my favourite teacher at this age, even though he is kind enough to spare his time for me. I told Prof. Singh that, it was a great desire to meet him, which kept in my mind for several years.  He gifted me a copy of the latest edition of Tourism Recreation Review journal, which I received with immense gratitude. His advise still echoes in my ears. Small drops become mighty oceans. Keep on working hard, see small dreams, fulfill it....Dont forget yourself, when you have small achievements in life, be polite enough to understand that you have to travel a lot. When I left his home it was almost 7 pm as already I have taken one precious hour of him of that day. I felt like I am an accomplished person in my life as I found my Guru. My mind was filled with an eternal kind of happiness that I found my real master after a search of several years.  
The words echoes in my ears again and again, while I was returning to my hostel ....never stop your efforts, miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep....

      

Popular posts from this blog

Kashi...(written in 2018)