A meeting after 12 years.. A long story

I was in the class in the afternoon  and phone started ringing continuously. I cancelled each call, but it continued to ring. The number was strange and I really got annoyed and switched off it for time being. later when I finished the class I called the same number but no one picked the phone. But, I got the call back from the same number. The voice was not clear, and I repeatedly want to know who is there the other side. 
My English didnt work!, then I asked in bits and pieces in Hindi. Got a reply in Malayalam, saying its Pradip......., he identified himself as my classmate in graduation!
All of a sudden, memories gone pushed me back to 1995. A lean, tall fellow friend, used to appear classes very irregularly. Was more in to trekking, nature club, and library activities. ....We were not great friends.. but had something in common that both of us were hard working... He was in social work, whereas I was in studies.
Wanted to hear where he is calling from and more details... with a bit hesitation he told me he is not studying any more, but at present is in Bhubaneswar and wanted to come to Varanasi for some personal work. 
I agreed to receive him at station in the morning.... He reached Varanasi from Mughalsarai by a taxi. 
I reached Cannt at 7.20 am. and was looking for him. soon found a 6 feet tall man in front of me. A thick moustache, bald forhead, well built body, has a backpack and a small hand bag. He recognised me and gave me a warm hug.. 
Got in to the bike, and I was more eager to hear his life for the past 12 years..
In brief he told me that, he s working with CRPF as an Inspector and came to VNS as part of an inquiry...and some personal work.
After reaching home, I offered him a cup of tea, then again I moved back to the bed as my sleep was incomplete. mean time Pradip take shower and started doing Yoga... What a shame.. I am a teacher .. responsible to report at 10 am at dept. sleeping at 8 30 am... my friend is doing yoga.. 
I moved to kitchen to prepare breakfast. Prepared Shyju Special upma  (in Pradip's Words) and tea..
He briefed his plan .. wanted to visit Sankat Mochan, KVT and have to offer rituals to his late Father...
His words were highly expressive when I sent him with my student for the city visit.


By 4.30 he came back after the complete city tour and necessary rituals.... I got some breathing time now.
Moved with him to Bhim's Tea Shop at V.T. 
He started telling his life.. 
after completion of Degree, he worked with Library and was continued to work in District Scouts & Guides .. and literacy campaign in Kerala .Represented various camps in South India. Got a national recognition on National Integration.. Got selected through SSC in CPO as Inspector.. 
Did job at Doda in J & K, Mokamma in Bihar,Delhi and Rajasthan etc... Now posted at Dalai Dt. in Tripura and will be soon elevated to Asst. Commander. (At present has full responsibilities of Asst. Commander) has 134 police men, duty include patrolling, operations (Search and Neutralising enemy) at the disputed border of India and Bangladesh.. 
Got married and have a daughter of 18 months... has mother and wife at home. Then he took th ebangles he purchased for his child and wife. tears gathered in the corners of his eyes.... in broken words he told me that his child cries over phone when his voice she recognises... I stood shocked for a while......Working in border for all these years.. I was admiring him internally as he could get a right break in his life and grown to the level of a commanding person. 
Each moment he was with me, he was cherishing the campus life. I took him to IT, Hostels, and University Club, and at the end to Naria Gate to my home.
After a small break at my home, we got ready for the Aarti at Prayag Ghat. Enroute traffic jam in Bhelupur. Very soon his policing words came from the tough throat and people were staring uneasily at a strange guy who shouts from the bike...
Reached Ghats at 6.45 p.m and moved to search for a place. The ghats are still under water. at the end located the Ganga Seva Samiti's arti arrangements at the roof top, overlooking Ganga.....
I guided him to a place close to the priest and myself moved back to the rear side.
It is 7 p.m and Arti started. Commotions of emotions... All crowd is carefully and piously observing the movements of priests and the prayers... 
My world was going after the slowly rising moon other side of Ganges... River Ganges is silently flowing in front of us... Pradip, a class mate of me is deeply involved in Ganga Aarti.
My eyes are rolling around the moon and the Ganges... Slowly a picture is arising .. A group of policemen with heavy ammunition is moving in the marshy jungle.. caring each steps about the movements of the enemy. the enemy is also a human being.. a bullet (which comes from whom first) can finish a life... whoever it is... about their family, children, parents, own village, friends and dreams of meeting all of them..... 
other side.. bombs, mines, explosions, gunshots ...who controls whom?
one side power..government... other side power hungry organisations....everything at the cost of human life..
 my nerves were tight..the chanting of mantras in arti made me to cry for a while.... 
when the aarti finished, he hugged me again. this time it was out of his gratitude and love to me.. He was so much involved and impressed with it... 
Greatness of Mother Ganges.. Ganges accepts everything .. like a mother.. and soothing us... 
After taking food from home (Dal, Subzi and Chaval with curd) he left to Gaya. he has to attend an inquiry against a corruption case against his senior... I wished him luck and happy journey and came back to home....
A very eventful day.... 
A silent prayer murmered around me
Oh God.. what else to see in life....
your greatness are witnessed everywhere....
Each day welcomes you with lot of tensions
Each day ends with lot of relief...
still waiting for another..................................


Popular posts from this blog

Kashi...(written in 2018)